❥ What is CBD oil? ❥
If you pay attention to the health news, you’ve probably noticed that CBD oil is a hot topic these days. But what precisely is CBD oil, and is it really as beneficial as people claim?
First, let’s look at the big picture:
Every mammal has an endocannabinoid system. This system affects your body in a number of ways: it can influence your mood, energy levels, ability to concentrate, pain levels, skin, and more.
Cannabinoids – found in plants like cannabis and hemp – affect our endocannabinoid system. For their part, these can affect our entire body. One of those cannabinoids is cannabidiol, known as CBD. Another example of these cannabinoids is THC or tetrahydrocannabinol.
Both THC and CBD have benefits, but THC can get you ‘high’, whereas this is not the case with CBD. Studies have shown that CBD has, among other benefits, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, antipsychotic, and analgesic (that is, pain-reducing) properties in humans.
CBD can be found in the form of CBD oil. Due to its vast number of benefits, it is also found in edibles and sweets, CBD-enhanced beauty products, topicals, and pills among many other things.
What’s more, CBD isn’t just good for humans. It can also benefit your pets.
The CBD oil can come from two different sources: cannabis or hemp. However, access to CBD oil from hemp is usually easier and cheaper because hemp is a legal plant, while cannabis is illegal or regulated in many countries around the world.
❥ Benefits of CBD for dogs ❥
For those of us who are fortunate enough to have furry family members, CBD oil is something worth keeping on hand. Based on scientific research, there are a number of benefits of CBD for both dogs and humans.
Available research shows that, in general, CBD possesses the following properties for mammals:
- CBD has long been known as a ‘ new anti-inflammatory drug ‘. It can be used to treat people with inflammatory and autoimmune disorders.
- Studies on CBD have shown that it has antidepressant and mood-enhancing effects.
- Antipsychotic 2012 review of studies on CBD revealed that it has antipsychotic effects. Based on more than three decades of research, the review concluded that “CBD may generally be a future therapeutic option for psychosis, and particularly for schizophrenia.”
- Anti-anxiety. CBD can be an effective treatment for anxiety disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder, among others.
- There is a large body of strong evidence that CBD can help people with epilepsy. The endocannabinoid system is believed to directly affect the brain’s tendency to seizures, and it has generally been used for children who have epilepsy and are resistant to treatment.
- Much research shows that CBD can greatly reduce pain levels, even in people who have chronic pain diseases and conditions.
The scientific research behind the benefits of CBD is immense. These benefits are part of the reason why cannabis is becoming legal in more and more countries around the world – it can help people. But CBD doesn’t just help people. There is a great deal of research and anecdotal evidence that CBD oil can specifically help dogs.
- CBD oil can help dogs with skin conditions. A 2012 study showed that dogs with inflammatory skin conditions benefited from consuming CBD oil. This is because CBD is an anti-inflammatory that also regulates sebum production, which means that it quenches oil production in the skin.
- CBD oil can help anxious dogs. Due to its anxiolytic properties, many dog owners use CBD oil to help calm their pets. This is especially helpful for dogs that have been abused, dogs with separation anxiety, and dogs that have recently been introduced to new spaces or with new animals.
- CBD oil might be able to treat epileptic dogs. A study conducted in 2017 showed that CBD oil is an effective and safe treatment for seizure-prone dogs. In general, epileptic dogs that used CBD oil had fewer seizures than those that did not.
- CBD oil reduces pain in dogs. A 2018 study in dogs with osteoarthritis showed that CBD oil reduced their pain and increased their activity levels.
CBD oil has an impressive range of benefits. What’s more, as cannabis is legalized in more parts of the world, more studies are underway. In the near future, we hope to learn more benefits of CBD oil for dogs.
❥ Will my dog get high on CBD oil? ❥
No, your dog shouldn’t get intoxicated from CBD oil.
Understandably, you are worried that your dog might get intoxicated – after all, you don’t want to hurt your furry friend in any way!
As mentioned above, CBD is a non-intoxicating cannabinoid. Although THC can be intoxicating, CBD cannot get your dog high. Of course, you should always check the packaging, as some oils combine CBD and THC. If the oil contains CBD and does not contain THC, it cannot get your dog high.
❥ Is CBD legal for dogs? ❥
This is a complex question.
As mentioned above, CBD can be derived from cannabis and hemp. While cannabis is illegal in most of the world, hemp is legal and accessible in almost all countries. While cannabis and hemp are closely related, cannabis is high in THC and hemp is not. This means that cannabis can “get you high” while hemp cannot.
CBD oil can be derived from both hemp and cannabis.
So while CBD cannabis oil is only legal in some places, CBD hemp oil is legal everywhere. At the moment, there is no law about providing CBD to pets. But, since it is a safe and effective natural treatment, it is unlikely that it will become illegal.
❥ Reasons to give your dog CBD oil ❥
There are several reasons why you should give your dog CBD oil. As mentioned above, it can be beneficial in a number of different ways. You should give your dog CBD oil if you want him to have:
- Healthy skin (and a healthy coat)
- A reduction in pain
- A reduction in seizures
- A calmer and less anxious demeanour
Your dog doesn’t have to have a certain illness or disease to need CBD oil. Many dog owners use low doses of CBD oil to prevent illness and keep their pets calm, happy and healthy!
❥ Is CBD oil safe? ❥
It is normal for an animal lover to worry about whether CBD oil is safe for their pets.
Rest assured, all research suggests that it is perfectly fine. A 2018 study of healthy dogs indicated that CBD oil is quite safe for dogs, and a large body of research suggests that it is safe for humans as well. Just make sure to supply the correct dosage at all times.
Of course, it is important to remember that cannabis itself is very toxic to dogs. If your dog ingests cannabis, take him to the vet immediately. Does my pet really need CBD oil?
Not all pets ‘need’ CBD, just like not all humans ‘need’ CBD – but CBD oil is still super beneficial. Your pet may need CBD oil if he is struggling with:
- Skin conditions
It is always heartbreaking to see your pet struggling with health problems. Yes, traditional CBD oil could be exactly what they need. If you want a natural treatment for your dog’s ailments; CBD oil is worth investing in!
❥ How much CBD should I give my dog? ❥
This is a difficult question, and it cannot be answered without knowing your dog, the conditions he suffers from, and the nature of your CBD oil.
Most studies, such as the dogs with osteoarthritis, looked at dosing 2mg to 8mg of CBD oil twice a day. Since this has been shown to be an effective and safe dose, it is probably best to stay in this range. However, you should first speak to a vet.
The dose of CBD oil that you give your dog will depend on:
- His weight
- Its race
- Your symptoms and conditions
- The concentration of CBD oil, as some oils are more concentrated than others.
❥ Side effects of CBD oil ❥
This is an important question for many pet owners – are there any side effects of CBD oil when it comes to dogs?
Probably not. So far, research has indicated that there are no side effects in moderate doses of CBD oil.
That said, it is important to supply the correct dosage and always consult with a veterinarian before giving your pet any new medications or supplements. Start with a small dose and watch your pet closely to see how it reacts. Although your dog is unlikely to have a bad reaction to CBD oil, it’s best to err on the side of caution when it comes to taking care of our furry friends.
To prevent your dog from experiencing any side effects, make sure you are only getting CBD oil from a reputable source. Some companies that claim to create CBD products are not, in fact, legitimate. In 2015, the FDA (“the agency of the United States government responsible for the regulation of foods and drugs among others”) issued a series of warning letters to companies that falsely claimed that their products contained CBD. Among them were companies that claimed to produce CBD-enriched products for dogs. The FDA found that some of these products contained little or no CBD. This is not to say that their products are not safe, but rather that they were ineffective and totally mislabeled.
Always research companies before buying CBD oil from them. Read the reviews on their site and ask about their testing policies.
CBD oil is something that every dog owner should be aware of. We hope that as more research is done in the future, we will understand exactly how CBD oil benefits both humans and pets.
❥Recommended for your Pitbull ❥